Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Potty Training in 5 days... what?!?

Two kids. Both potty trained at 22 months old. One girl. One boy. Done. Do I miss changing diapers? That would be a negative baby!!!

Ok... so how did I even manage to do that? Well. A friend of mine had used this manual for a 3-Day Potty training and she had successful trained her son in 3 days, as did her sister and a friend. I told her to send it my way because 3 days sounds quite appealing to me.

This is the method we followed: 3-Day Potty Training by Lora Jenson. www.3DayPottyTraining.com

I say in my blog title "5 days", because for me, it really took me 5 full days to feel like the kids had gotten it down. The first 3 days were definitely the core of it all, but the additional 2 days sealed the deal for me. Be sure to check out Lora's book for details on her method!

Back to what I personally did.... I used Lora's book as the foundation for my potty training week. I used almost all of her suggestions (except that I wasn't brave enough to let go of pull-ups at  naptime and overnight - I know, I was weak). Here is another biggie: I TOOK ONE WEEK OFF FROM WORK. Now, if that's not commitment, I don't know what is! Now for your SAHM's, you have an advantage here if you can give up doing nothing else but potty training for one week. But it really is commitment beyond the time dedicted to potty training, because you basically have to give up focus on anything else except that. That meant, I couldn't sit at my desk, play on the computer, play on my phone, read a magazine... nada. We didn't leave the house... actually, we barely even left the living room (because I didn't want accidents on carpet). All I did for 5 days straight was stare at my child's crotch... patiently waiting for these pee accidents (aka learning moments) so that I can promptly get to them to the potty in hopes that a drop or two will end up in there.

When I first potty trained my daughter, I was pregnant at the time (no double diaper duty here!), so you can imagine the range of emotions I was experiencing with this. I literally was ready to quit on Day 3 and cry in frustration that I failed. But low and behold! The very LAST pee on the 3rd day - she "got" it! She actually got it (the concept)! When I woke up on Day 4, I was rejuvenated enough to stick with it a few more days and hone in on her practicing and practicing. *sigh* memories.....
(Check out the outfit my daughter had to sport back then when potty training in the spring time weather: warm layers of shirts, elmo undies so mommy can see accidents, and leggings cuz its chilly!)


I was told that boys were harder to train, so I was apprehensive about tackling this one last week. Let alone, I had my now 4-year-old daughter with me so it gave me less one-on-one time with him. I honestly, couldn't believe how much easier he was to train!!! It just goes to show, its all dependent on the kid. I don't really think that its a matter of a girl or boy being ready... its the kid. But I do have to say, that Lora's recommendation of potty training at 22 months old, did not fail me at all. I was skeptical at first that a 22mo would understand (especially since my daughter was not really talking much at the time)... but both kids picked it up. Perhaps we underestimate the 22mo too much? My son picked up potty training by Day 2. Regressed on Day 4 a bit, but shortly after that... we were home free. Now, me saying home free doesn't mean there aren't accidents! And we haven't fully mastered the pooing. BUT - we are in a good place. There is no turning back to diapers as we only move forward from here! He's pretty much been off diapers for over 2 weeks now and its been good!

After going through this experience twice... I'd have to say what I took from it was:
  • It was worth it to take a whole week off and dedicate it to potty training.
  • Cheering on even the smallest drip in the potty is incredibly exciting to a child.
  • You are their biggest cheerleader and its important to keep cheering - even when he pees onto your feet because it shoots over the potty seat.
  • Empowering a child to learn to read their own body signals can go a much further way.
  • Solid colored undies are easier to see small drip accidents on boys.
  • Girls drop major puddle accidents.
  • Accept that there will be accidents - even after the week is finished. They are still learning!
  • Try to have a fellow mommy you can call and vent to! You will need the support and your own cheerleader!
  • Make sure you reward YOURSELF with a "me" day the week after! You deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment