Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Spontaneity gives me anxiety.

So we've already established that I'm a neurotic "planner". I function on schedules and predictability. Well. that all changed this past weekend.

I've been working my butt off, and after a long 10 hour shift... I came home and had the craziest idea to go to Vegas for ONE DAY and catch one of my all-time favorite music festivals. Ohhhh you can imagine the thoughts that ran through my head in contemplating on this gesture. I had no place to stay, no tickets to the event, NO childcare lined up yet... what was I thinking?

Guess things were meant to be, because in the blink of an eye, the stars were aligning tickets, my cousin's hotel room to crash in, and three last-minute babysitters willing to help out. It was crazy. I pulled the trigger and agreed to go through with it. EEEEEEEK. Let me tell you though... seriously like 20 mins later - I was like "What am I doing? Is it too late to back out?" It was seriously giving me anxiety just thinking about what I had just agreed to proceed with and then furthermore... now I have to carry out.

Fortunately, due to the neurotic nature of my parenting skills, its not hard to watch my kids (even for a last-minute baby sitter that has never watched them for a full 24 hours by themself before - gulp!). But I had faith that the kids would be fine.... How could anyone mess up on watching my kids when there a clearly color-coded daily schedule right up on the fridge? Its a no fail gig!

Ok, so all the pieces have been laid out and away I went. In a span of less than 48 hours... I managed to drive myself to Vegas, dance until the sun came up, then get back home and into mommy-mode. whew. Took me probably another two days after that to fully recover....

Was it worth it? I'd say so. Would I do it again? Well... maybe I wouldn't wait until the day before to decide on things.... but I guess I can't always plan evvvvvverrrything. All I know is that this past weekend is still sort of a blur. I really pushed through a lot of the anxiety that was creeping in the back of my head during that time.. and I survived. Perhaps neuroticism can have an off button?

No comments:

Post a Comment